The number of tummy tuck surgeries has been on the rise since 2000 – and for good reason. Tummy tucks create a trimmer, flatter waistline when diet and exercise aren’t enough.
At Clareo Centers for Aesthetic Surgery, tummy tucks have remained one of the most-requested plastic surgery procedures since our inception, and here’s why:
- It eliminates stubborn fat. Most tummy tuck surgeries today include liposuction to remove stubborn fat. We can safely treat the torso with liposuction at the time of tummy tuck. This may include excess fat on the waistline (the dreaded “muffin top”), in the upper abdomen, across the back, or around the flanks (“love handles”). The result is a sleeker, more sculpted midsection with fewer bumps and bulges.
- It firms muscles. One of the greatest benefits of tummy tuck surgery is that it can actually improve muscle tone. That’s because the abdominal muscles are tightened during tummy tuck surgery, creating a flatter stomach. This is especially important for people with diastasis recti – or separation of the abdominal muscles. Diastasis recti often occurs during pregnancy and can only be permanently repaired with surgery. (No amount of sit-ups will help!) Physical therapy can treat a diastasis but results go away when the patient quits PT.
- It removes sagging skin. Extra skin around the middle can be caused by a number of factors, including having children, losing a large amount of weight, or simply because of aging. In these situations, tummy tuck surgery is the only way to remove this skin for good.
- It reduces the prevalence of stretch marks. While some creams or lotions may help reduce the look of stretch marks, they won’t completely erase them. However, stretch marks on the lower abdomen can sometimes be permanently eliminated with tummy tuck surgery. That’s because stretch marks are removed along with extra skin, creating a more evenly-toned appearance. This is often an added benefit for moms who earned their “tiger stripes” during pregnancy, or for individuals who experienced significant weight gain and loss.
- It creates long-lasting results. The changes of a tummy tuck surgery are permanent and the aesthetic results can often last several years. In fact, most people who have this procedure enjoy their new look for a long time. But don’t get too excited: You still have to eat right and exercise. Weight gain or pregnancy can negatively affect your results. So, make sure you stick to a healthy diet and exercise program so you can enjoy your new body for many years to come.
- It can be customized to your needs. Tummy tuck surgery can be customized to accommodate the amount of skin and fat that you want to remove. For men and women who only need mild improvements with no muscle tightening, a mini tummy tuck may be appropriate. Those who want more complete results can choose traditional tummy tuck surgery, while those with a significant amount of excess skin and fat can benefit from circumferential tummy tuck, sometimes called a “body lift.”
- It creates more balanced body proportions. Not only will your waistline benefit from a tummy tuck, your entire body will look more proportioned. That’s because tummy tuck surgery creates a better waist-to-hip ratio and removes unwanted bulges for a sleeker, slimmer silhouette.
- It is easily combined with other plastic surgery procedures. Many people choose to combine a tummy tuck with other body contouring procedures such as liposuction, breast augmentation, or breast lift. This creates more dramatic results and saves you time and money by bundling multiple surgeries into one procedure.