What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat cells. Once removed, the fat cells do not grow back. However, fat cells do not have a limit as to how much they can enlarge. Therefore, liposuction will not change your ability to gain or lose weight. Liposuction will change your fat distribution, which means that the treated areas will always have fewer fat cells. If you maintain your weight, your liposuction results will last many years.
Who is a candidate for liposuction?
Anyone who is at or near their ideal body weight and in good health is a candidate for liposuction. The best candidates are people who have one or just a few areas of unwanted fat. At our plastic surgery office near Boston, we often see patients for liposuction of the abdomen, flanks (love handles), back, hips, thighs, bra roll, chest (in men), and neck.
Liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure and is not recommended for individuals who are hoping to lose a large amount of weight. Dr. Tantillo will determine if liposuction is a good option for you during your initial consultation.
Benefits of liposuction
Liposuction is a very rewarding procedure for our Boston-area patients. Many people who are healthy but struggle with a few “trouble zones” find that liposuction is the perfect complement to their diet and exercise routine. Liposuction removes stubborn fat that won’t budge no matter how hard you work. When you choose liposuction at our practice, you can expect:
- A slimmer, sleeker physique
- No more unwanted fat and bulges
- More balanced body proportions
- To feel better in a wide array of clothing styles
- Enhanced confidence about your appearance
Your liposuction options
Liposuction can be performed successfully on many areas of the body. Some of the most common treatment areas include:
- Abdomen: If you struggle with your midsection, you aren’t alone. Both men and women frequently choose liposuction on their abdomen to achieve a slimmer waistline. Liposuction can help remove a “muffin top” or “spare tire,” which are difficult to tone.
- Flanks: The flanks are another area of concern for many of our liposuction patients near Boston. Often referred to as “love handles,” the flanks are a common area for stubborn fat to accumulate. Liposuction removes this unwanted fat for good, making you look leaner.
- Back: Liposuction can be used on the back to remove bulges or rolls that don’t respond to diet and exercise. Our female patients often use liposuction to eliminate the look of “bra rolls,” or excess fat that bulges around the bra line.
- Hips: Many women store fat on their hips, which can make them look wider or appear “bottom heavy” by creating uneven body proportions. Liposuction can be used to slim the hips and make the body more proportional.
- Thighs: The inner and outer thighs are a common place where excess fat is stored – especially in women. While exercising may help slim the body overall, liposuction is the only way to remove these stubborn, isolated pockets of fat from the legs.
- Chest: Liposuction is often used during a male breast reduction to treat gynecomastia in men. Gynecomastia refers to a condition in which men have over-developed breast tissue or “man boobs.” Liposuction can remove this fat for good and create a flat, firm chest.
- Neck: For those who struggle with a “turkey neck”, liposuction is a great option. Liposuction is used under the neck to create a more defined jawline that looks youthful and elegant. It’s often used in combination with a facelift for more complete results.
Liposuction is performed in about 1 to 2 hours using either general or local anesthetic (depending on the location and size of the treatment area). The procedure involves injecting a small amount of tumescent fluid into the areas where fat is going to be removed. The tumescent solution makes fat removal easier so that less manual force is needed to break apart the fat cells. This helps reduce bruising and swelling after surgery, and can help make your recovery easier.
After tumescent fluid is injected, Dr. Tantillo will use a thin, hollow tube – called a cannula – to suction away unwanted fat. Different sizes and shapes of cannulas may be used in order to achieve the most aesthetically pleasing result. Dr. Tantillo has many years of experience performing tumescent liposuction. His refined skill and surgical expertise ensures that your results look smooth and slim.
Recovery and results
When performed alone, liposuction is most often a day surgery (meaning you won’t require an overnight hospital stay). Your recovery time will depend on the number and size of areas treated. However, most patients are back to their normal activities within a few days of their liposuction treatment.
You may be asked to wear a compression garment the first 6 weeks after surgery. This garment can be worn under any type of clothing and is important for your recovery. Compression garments help your body conform to its new contours while also reducing swelling.
Minimal activity is encouraged in the first 1 to 2 weeks after your procedure. Light walking can be beneficial during this time to help promote blood flow and minimize swelling. In 3 to 4 weeks, you can gently begin to ease back into your regular workout routine by engaging in more strenuous activities and exercises.
It usually takes about 6 weeks for your results to show. Swelling will increase for approximately 3 days after the procedure, and then decrease week-by-week. You will not notice substantial improvement in your figure until about 3 weeks after your procedure. By 6 weeks, you will see results. However, subtle improvement and skin tightening continue for 6 months. Clareo Centers serve patients from all over the Boston area including Newtown, Brookline, Needham and more.