What is breast lift surgery?
Breast lift surgery, technically called mastopexy, is a breast enhancement procedure that addresses the effects of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, and breastfeeding. A breast lift corrects breast sag (known as ptosis) by raising the breasts to a more youthful position while also reshaping and tightening the breasts. Breast lift surgery can correct varying degrees of ptosis and may also be used to improve the shape and size of the areolas for a more flattering appearance.
Who is a candidate for breast lift?
Healthy women who have good skin elasticity get the best results from breast lift surgery; breast lift can be combined with implant or fat transfer to enhance volume or combined with tissue removal to reduce volume. Your Clareo surgeon will conduct a thorough evaluation during your consultation to determine if breast lift surgery is right for you. In general, the best candidates for breast lift surgery are those who:
- Are bothered by the position of their breasts
- Have sagging, drooping breasts
- Are unhappy with the size or position of their areolas
- Have lost a significant amount of weight
- Want to achieve perkier, more youthful looking breasts
If you are planning on pregnancy in the near future, our Boston area doctors may recommend delaying breast lift surgery. That’s because your breast size fluctuates with pregnancy and breastfeeding and this can affect your results. The same is true if you are planning on having weight-loss surgery. It’s best to wait until you are at a stable weight before undergoing a breast lift.
Benefits of breast lift
Breast lift surgery is a rewarding procedure for women near Boston who want to regain a more youthful breast shape and position. As we age, the breasts may lose volume and become droopy. This can be due to weight fluctuations, pregnancy, or the aging process. These physical changes can alter the size and shape of your breasts – often leaving them less full and firm than you would like.
While each woman’s reasons for considering breast lift are unique, our patients’ goals often include:
- Raise saggy breasts and restore volume to the upper breast
- Combine with implants or fat transfer to lift and add volume
- Create firmer, more youthful breasts
- Correct differences in breast shape (asymmetry)
- Raise nipples that fall below the breast crease or redirect nipples that point downward
- Decrease the size of areolas
A breast lift will reposition your breast tissue upward and improve the upper portion of your breasts, but it will not increase their size. Women who want to achieve a fuller, more rounded look can combine a breast lift with breast augmentation. Others choose only breast augmentation to achieve the fuller look they desire. Our Clareo doctors will help you choose the right solution for you.
Your breast lift surgery options
Your breast lift surgery will be customized to address your anatomy and cosmetic concerns. During your initial consultation, your Clareo doctor will discuss the best approach to your procedure. Breast lifts can be performed through a variety of incision techniques, including:
- Anchor incisions: The anchor incision includes an incision around the areola, a vertical incision from the areola to the breast crease, and a final incision along the breast crease itself. This technique works well for women who have moderate to severe breast sagging. Although the anchor approach is the most invasive, it is extremely effective and provides very flattering results.
- Lollipop incisions: A lollipop incision is similar to the anchor incision because it includes an incision around the areola and down to the breast crease, but it does not include a horizontal incision under the breast. The lollipop technique is appropriate for women with mild to moderate sagging who want to minimize scarring.
- Circumareolar incisions: Women who have large with no or very little breast sag are often good candidates for the circumareolar approach. This pattern places incisions around the areola only, and therefore can flatten the projection of the breast. Because all of the wound closure tension is placed on the areolar incision, the incision can widen, particularly when combined with implant placement. Not everyone is a candidate for this technique, and it provides only mild lifting. However, for the right patient, it can be very beneficial.
Preview your results
Clareo offers our patients the opportunity to preview their results through 3D simulation using Crisalix software. This technology creates life-like images of your expected results so that you can better visualize how you’ll look after surgery.
Breast lift surgery
Your breast lift surgery is performed as a day procedure, which means no hospital stay is required. You will need to plan to have someone drive you to and from your appointment.
Breast lift is performed while you are under general anesthesia. During the procedure, your Clareo doctor will place your incisions using either the anchor, lollipop, or circumareolar approach. Excess skin, fat, and tissue is removed and the breasts are tightened and repositioned to a higher level on the chest wall. If breast implants are also included, they will be placed at this time.
After your incisions are closed, you will be brought out of sleep. Our staff will monitor you closely to ensure your safety. Most women only require a mild pain medication such as MOTRIN® after breast lift surgery and can perform most everyday tasks.
Recovery and results
After your surgery, your incisions will be dressed and you will be required to wear a surgical support bra 24 hours a day, except when showering, for the first 3 to 4 weeks. This garment will help your breasts conform to their new shape.
You should plan to take it easy and get lots of rest the first few days after surgery. Make sure you have someone who can help you out around the house with simple tasks. After about 1 to 2 weeks, you should be able to return to work if you have a nonphysical office job. More strenuous activity should be limited the first 3 to 4 weeks. After 6 weeks, you should be able to resume all normal activities, including your regular workout routine. Just be sure to ease back into your fitness regimen slowly and gradually to avoid injury and/or compromising your results.
You will immediately be able to see the improvements from your breast lift surgery. However, your final results will not be visible for the first few weeks, until swelling and bruising dissipate (usually in about 7 to 14 days). The scars from the incision sites will also appear prominent at first and then gradually thin and fade within the first year of surgery. Clareo Centers for Aesthetic Surgery serve patients from all over the Boston area including Needham, Newton Brookline and more.